Saturday 2 February 2013

Warming Roasted Vegetable Soup

I really love peasant food. I think if one day I could afford to buy whatever groceries I pleased, I would still be making the same type of food I do now, I'd just buy more variety. I love one pot dishes with simple whole ingredients. Oats, stew, chili, tacos, and lentils are some of my favorite things to eat, and it goes to show you don't need to spend a ton of money to eat delicious, healthy food.

I also hate chopping vegetables, so it's easier to say my food is "rustic", then to actually learn how to chop properly.  Maybe one day I'll teach myself to julienne, but that's not today.


Warming Roasted Vegetable Soup with crispy chickpeas

Ingredients: 
Soup:
1 small turnip (about 2 cups chopped)
2 medium carrots
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
3/4 cup split yellow peas
6-7 cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin

Crispy Chickpeas:
(start marinating the night before)
1 cup chickpeas (pre cooked, or canned)
1 tbsp sriracha
1 tsp curry paste
2 tbsp canola oil (for cooking)

Directions:
- Pre heat oven to 350. Chop turnip and carrots into 1.5" pieces (The turnip make take longer then the carrots, so you can chop then a bit smaller if you like), coat in oil, and put in oven safe dish. Roast for 30 mins, or until golden and soft. 

-While vegetables are roasting start a stock pot on the stove with coconut oil, onions and garlic. Sautee until fragrant and translucent. Add broth, spices and split peas. Simmer for 30 mins. Add roasted vegetables, coconut milk, and vinegar, simmer for 15 mins.

-Let soup sit for 20 mins before blending. 

Crispy Chickpeas:
These are so easy, and you can use them to garnish anything from salads, tacos to soup.

-Marinate the chickpeas in sriracha and curry paste overnight. 

-Heat oil in a saute pan and add chickpeas (drain the chickpeas of the marinade before you add them to the oil or it will spit a lot.) Cook for about 7-8 mins on medium heat, or until desired crispiness.  Sprinkle over soup! Or anything else that suits your fancy. 


There's nothing more comforting then a bowl of soup this time of year.


No comments:

Post a Comment